Thursday, July 18, 2013

The water is sprinkling on the butterfly bush in Donna's Garden.  I am in to cool off for a moment and thought I would share something that always seems to draw comments and interest when people see my garden. Here is one of my favorite little tricks!

Cutworms make me crazy! Pesticides rarely help, but there are some simple, non chemical controls that really help.  Here is what I do.

Whenever I plant seeds in my garden, I cut the bottom out of an empty 4" plastic pot and set it in the ground. Leave about 2 inches or so sticking above the soil line and plant the seed as you normally would inside the pot. This forms a collar that the cutworms cannot cross, saving your tender seedlings. This works with small plants as well. Most of my transplants are quite large because I have the advantage of greenhouse space to start them. However, corn, okra, cucumbers, etc. go in as seed and they all get a little collar to keep them safe! It also helps me to know exactly where to be looking for the new shoots to come up. The collars can remain if the mature stalk will not be bigger than 4" diameter, or removed when the plant is a size that the cutworms won't bother.

Be careful of sunflowers! They are the favorite food of cutworms. If you like to spend time in the garden every evening, plant a few extra as "Banker Plants" . . . plants meant to draw and trap the target pest.  Keep a close eye and remove the cutworms EVERY DAY-- if you are not faithful to regularly remove them, they will increase very quickly.  I don't use this method for fear I will not get out and get the gathered, but its still a great way to deal with a nasty pest while growing something fun for the birds!

You know, we are like that tender seedling-- just when we think we are getting going really well, something can come along and cut us back so hard, that survival hardly seems possible.  God sends his Spirit to wrap us up-- keep us safe.  If we are centered in Him, like a seedling in a collar, the dangers and harm around us cannot penetrate and destroy us.  I love spending time in the garden.  It never fails that when I am quiet and out with my plants. God shows me more of Himself, His love for me, and teaches me more about my weakness and His strength.

1 comment: